Tuesday, January 2, 2007

When in doubt, get lazy

Last night I used the jigsaw to cut the front arc for the (still screwed together) side panels and sanded all of the edges. I brought the sides back inside the house, unscrewed the panels, and mapped the support placement to the interior of both sides. I measured and remeasured the reproduction marquee overlay and control panel overlay to ensure everything was lining up properly, but my nerves got the better of me. I finally decided to wait for the reproduction control panel and marquee brackets before moving any further. I know in my heart its the right decision, as I'd be working backwards if those pieces didn't measure up in the end. Technically I could go outside and cut all the support braces, considering they don't have to be accurately measured. I guess I'll wait and see how motivated I feel after my second cup of coffee.

My Laser Disc Games Classifieds account over at the Dragon's Lair Project was finally approved by a moderator, so I was able to list a couple of my wanted items. Just as my post was published, I received an email from a chap willing to part with a working LED scoreboard for a reasonable price. I'm currently awaiting some pictures of the scoreboard before I make a final decision. I still haven't had any luck finding a repro (or original) marquee plexi or reasonably priced speaker grills. The marquee plexi is uber important to me right now, so I hope someone comes through real soon. I don't have an issue with making my own repro speaker grills for the time being.

Since I have to work both tonight and tomorrow night (and more rain expected for this weekend), I really don't know when I'll be able to progress any further with the Dragon's Lair cabinet. The good news, if I choose to look at it that way, is that I can finish up the existing arcade cabinet. All that's left to do with that one is print the marquee and instruction card art, swap out the monitor, and rewire the control panel. I still feel confident that everything will come together quickly once I have a couple more items in hand.

Pics and diagrams are coming soon - I promise! Becca snapped some pictures with our trusty 35mm camera and we just ordered a nice Sony digital camera. I've also been working on some really simplified plans in Photoshop.