Monday, January 8, 2007

Having an art attack

It rained this morning, so cutting wood outside was totally out of the question. Considering I have lots of non-cutting stuff to do, I decided to take advantage of the rain delay and tackle most of the art for the Marvel Superheroes cabinet. I had found some nice images online and cleaned/resized them in Photoshop. Once I burned them to disc, I took a ride over to the local Staples. (They printed the last batch of art for the cabinet and I was happy with the results.) When I woke up this evening, I headed back over there to pick up my printed pieces.

Click image thumbnails for bigger pics.






The new marquee finds a new home. At first I was nervous that I cropped the image too much, but it ended up being absolutely spot on.






Here's the X-Men vs. Street Fighter instruction card I found online. Yes, I know it isn't an X-Men vs. Street Fighter arcade cabinet, but it just fit the motif perfectly. (And it doesn't actually say X-Men vs. Street Fighter on the card, so whatever.)






Since I had some scraps left over from the control panel overlay, I decided to intergrate the card with the modified control panel.






The Marvel Superheroes instruction cards will be mounted on the plexi bezel once I install the new monitor. Since Becca and I have had an anime theme running throughout the house for some time now, these Japanese cards seem most appropriate.


Making the most of being out and about, I also picked up some little things for the Dragon's Lair cabinet. Since moving the Marvel Superheroes cabinet is a real bitch, I decided to mount casters on the bottom of the Dragon's lair cabinet. I picked up 4 casters, a gallon of low luster black paint, a can of black spraypaint, wood filler, some paint trays and rollers. Looks like it'll be a sunny day tomorrow, allbeit cold, so I should be able to finish my cuts in the morning.

A couple of critical items for the Dragon's Lair cabinet will be ariving before noon tomorrow, so I'm really excited to get an early start. Im still slightly concerned about the cuts I made for the marquee, so I had the marquee plexi and scoreboard sent overnight to me. It sucked up more of my available funds for the project, but it will allow me to progress much quicker with the final assembly. Weather (and motivation) permitting, I think I'm still on track to have the build completely done by this weekend.