Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Sometimes it's better to do nothing at all ...

Time sure flies when you're having not so much fun. I didn't get nearly as much done today as I planned to. Things come up and I'm really hoping my distraction will eventually pay off. Perhaps more on that later. For now, let's review what I actually did today.

Click image thumbnails for bigger pics.






The control panel I purchased had three additional holes punched in it for a Space Ace conversion cab. Solving this problem was actually beneficial in the end. I used a 2-part epoxy to adhere a 2" by 3 1/2" block of wood, held firmly in place with my mighty grippers of grippiness. This stuff dries diamond hard in about 15 minutes. There's no way this thing is ever coming off. Eventually I'll mount the I-PAC2 to the wood.






Once the block was dry, I flipped the control panel and used the same epoxy to fill in the holes. I used rough grit sandpaper in my vibrating sander to bring everything down to level. From the looks of things, I got a bit too excited while sanding.






I received the marquee plexi and scoreboard very early this morning. It's kind of ironic that a Space Ace marquee was previously attached. I probably would have saved some cash on this project if I just made a Space Ace cabinet, considering I had both the proper control panel and marquee.






It took about an hour of applying heat from a hairdryer and slowly peeling back the marquee art before the plexi was relatively clean. It took about another half hour to clean up the residual glue with some tacky stuff remover.






Applying the new Dragon's Lair marquee art from QuarterArcade was pretty straightforward. It went on relatively easy and mostly straight. The adhesive is uber sticky, so if you mess up, you're screwed. Can you see how screwed I am?






Finally, the control panel overlay was adhered. Man, I thought this would be a lot easier than the marquee art. I couldn't have been more wrong. It went on a little crooked, but I guess it'll be ok. If anyone asks, I'll just tell 'em I bought it that way.


I still have a lot of work to do before this thing is complete, but the cold weather has arived. Progress might be slow this week, but I'll continue to do what I can when I can. At least I don't have to buy anything else for the cabinet (that I know of).